Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008

Chili Con Vegetales & a simple sandwich

Like many people I have trouble sticking to a recipe. I can't help it, when my eye catches something lying around in my kitchen that appeals to me, I throw it in. Most of the time this is not particularly a bad thing though.

I kind of followed the Chili recipe from HIAV. I used kidney beans instead of black beans and also threw in a few cherry tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, some Pesto Rosso, many many spices(a hint too much chili powder) and a tiny bit soy sauce.



Before going to bed I made myself a simple sandwich. A toasted whole-wheat bread roll with a thin layer of my homemade Onion Cream Cheese(I added some garlic and more pepper), followed by a thin layer of mustard and topped with fresh salad, orange bell pepper and tomato slices sprinkled with fresh black pepper. Sometimes it's the simplest things that are the best.



I went grocery shopping last night and bought regular Tofu along with silken Tofu. I really want to try Scrambled Tofu, because everyone around the blogsphere seems to love it. And either I will give the Tofu sour cream another try or bake something really fancy with the silken Tofu. We'll see!
And I bought chickpeas because I'm dying to try out the roasted tomato hummus recipe. That on a sandwich... I imagine this must be simply delicious!

Kommentare:

Jennifer hat gesagt…

I love being creative with a dish as well! Sometimes you just have some left over veggies or something, that need to be eaten, or sound like they would make a nice addition. Hence why I am all for openly sharing recipes so people can go their own way freely with them and share them with others.

Sometimes the ingredients called for in recipes are things I don't like or can't find, so I have to make alterations there as well.

You should definitely try a tofu scramble! They are so versatile. Brett will even happily eat a scramble, and if you throw in a bit of turmeric, they get a nice yellow color, similar to eggs. I have tried all sorts of different types of scrambles and have loved them all equally, but in different ways. If you are stuck for ideas, let me know and I can email some your way.

This lucky Mid-Missouri Vegan came home last night to find that Brett had not only gotten me the two books I mentioned in my entry last night from the library, but he also bought me Vegan with a Vengeance! Wahooo! There is a tofu scramble recipe, as well as tempeh bacon and veggie chorizo recipes in there that I am very interested in trying, I would also be willing to email you those recipes as well (just don't post them on the internet, I don't want to get in trouble for copyright infringement).

I like the idea of other people trying recipes before I do, as I get to learn from their mistakes. :-)

Oh, and by the way, I am with you on the roasted tomato hummus, that sounds amazing! I love tomatoes and hummus, put 'em together and what could be better!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Thank you so much for the offer, I really appreciate it and may come back to you!
But as of last night I'm also a happy owner of VWAV =D
I'm at work right now, but I took the book with me and instead of doing the things I should be doign I'm sitting here flipping through the pages and drooling over the recipes, ha ha!