Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2008

Vegan with a Vengeance arrived!

Woohooo, I was so excited to unwrap it last night!
This book is awesome, loaded with useful tips for a vegan newbie like me. I can't wait to try something out!!!
I'll definitely try the Scrambled Tofu soon. And the Banana Chocolate Pudding Brownies are also on my things-to-try-asap-list.

And my parents came back from vacation yesterday. Finally I have someone to feed my creations to. Don't get me wrong, my boyfriend does eat some of the things I make. He just can't get over the fact that I'm veganizing everything. So he still prefers to go to Mc Donald's or Burger King and complain about stomach ache later. Guys...
I also had a discussion with him about it again. He can't really make a point as to why he is "against" veganism. He says he's just worried about me getting malnourished. So I told him that by eating beans and Tofu and whatnot I am getting enough protein for example. He hit back that you can't replace animal-protein. I was like "Dude, do all vegetarians you know are sick or somehow seem like they are about to die because they don't eat meat?" Jeez. Seriously, this is going back and forth and he just can't admit that veganism is a possible healthy way to live. SIGH!

I made some more Chili last night, because my mom didn't feel like cooking and they both loved it. Yeah, I'm always proud when someone compliments me on my food =D
Even the boyfriend did. But that's probably because I made us a salad(forgot to take a picture, it was so wonderfully colorful). A simple salad mix with cucumber, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, tomatoes and corn.

Oh, I ordered my first vegan Pizza yesterday. Ha ha, you should have seen the waiter all confused asking "No salami? No cheese? Just broccoli and bell pepper? Is that correct now?" Because I had to tell him several times that I do not want the regular kid's pizza with salami and cheese. It was good, but they could have loaded up more veggies and a bit more tomato sauce.

Kommentare:

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

Vegan with a Vengeance was one of my very first vegan cookbooks - the recipes you're thinking about trying are great choices!! Enjoy!!

Don't worry - I'm sure your boyfriend will come around, and maybe even try veganism (can't hurt to be hopeful, right?)

haha, that's quite funny about your first-experience ordering vegan pizza - it's always amusing to see waiters' expressions when you say, "no cheese, no meat..." :0D

Jennifer hat gesagt…
Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.
Jennifer hat gesagt…

Too funny, I just got VwaV as well. We must be on the same wavelength. I am going to try my hand at the Mocha Chip Muffins this week. Chocolate and coffee are two of Brett's favorite things, and I am quite fond of these things myself.

That is pretty exciting that you have people to feed now, makes getting in the kitchen more exciting. Haha about your boyfriend. Brett will do that too, he'll go to Arby's on his way home from the grocery store and end up with a belly ache, he usually drinks Kombucha tea to settle it down. And yet for some reason he'll still go back to Arby's, go figure.

Ah, the boyfriends argument, I would simply recommend that he read the book 'The China Study' before spouting all that nonsense off. This study noted that people with a vegan diet are not only healthy, but HEALTHIER than those who eat meat. Being a vegan is a personal choice, but to say that it is unhealthy for everyone is silly. It will be unhealthy if you are what I call a 'junk food' vegan or vegetarian, just as you would be unhealthy being a 'junk food' omni. And many of the veg*n's I know are 'junk food' veg*n's - they are pale, look unhealthy, etc., but this is because of the things they DO eat, and what they are not eating (i.e. fruits, veggies, whole grains), not because they choose not to eat meat.

I am getting ready to order Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan from Amazon along with Brett's birthday gift, and am pretty excited about that as well. I really want to get the Uncheese Cookbook sometime soon as well, and B said he saw it at the Peace Nook, which I would much rather support than Amazon (no offense, I am only getting ED&BV from Amazon, cause I haven't found it here locally). Then I will be pretty well set, well, that is until the next time I find out about a good vegan cookbook , this is what I got a degree for, so I could afford to support my baking and cookbook and regular book habit. I am probably bad for the economy ‘cause I don’t buy junk, just food and books.

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

Banana Chocolate Pudding Brownies?! Oh wow, I think I just went into a sugar coma just from hearing the name of that recipe. That sounds like the most amazing thing ever (well, maybe a tie with the raspberry-chocolate blondies some of the bloggers have made). Can't wait to see how they come out if you make them!

Tell your boyfriend about all the athletes/body builders that are veg*an, such as Bill Pearl (Mr. Universe), Carl Lewis (a gold-medal-winning Olympic runner), a National Football League player, or how about the people on this website: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

They definitely don't look sickly hehe.

Ah, boyfriends... can't live with em, don't want to live without em!

And no worries about the muffins... I just thought maybe stout was called "stud" in Europe lol!