Montag, 26. Mai 2008

Chocolate Covered Banana Cranberry Bars, Banana Cranberry Cake & Pasta with Tomato-Bean Sauce & garlicky Greens

What to do on a Sunday when hung-over?



I decided to stay in my PJ's, put on Friends, got a plate, a knife and dried bananas & cranberries. This is without a doubt my new favorite sweet treat! I can only suggest you try it yourself =)



Banana Cranberry Chocolate Bars (makes 3 small bars)
1/4 cup dried bananas
1/4 cup dried cranberries
dark chocolate for covering

I guess it would be the easiest to throw it all into a food processor or blender, but I cut it all into tiny pieces with a knife.
Then I took a plastic wrap and pressed the mixture into shape.
Then I melted the chocolate and covered the bars in it.
I had some chocolate left so I got out some hazelnuts, raisins (I recently discovered that I don't really hate them anymore, yay!) and dried bananas to cover it with.



I also bought new boxes. A small one (picture below), three medium ones for only 5 € and a big lunch box divided into three sections.



And now onto the Banana Coffee Cake. I turned it into a Banana Cranberry Cake because I doubled the recipe before realizing I didn't have enough bananas.



I served it with cranberry "jam". It was delicious and I ate so much warm cake that my tummy hurt afterwards =p



And a picture of a delicious golden kiwi!
I get an allergic reaction when I eat regular kiwi, but since the golden ones contain less fruit acid I can eat them without much trouble. Another staple fruit, now that I finally found a store that carries them.



Yesterday my boyfriend came over and declared he was hungry.
We both had no idea what to make so after checking my cupboards I decided to cook the rest of the Tofu Tortellini, whole-wheat Linguine, garlicky Broccoli & Zucchini to go with it and a ready-to-eat tomato sauce that I pimped with an onion and 1/3 cup baked beans.
Then I sprinkled it with nutritional yeast(like 4 times in a row, haha, *sings* I just can't get enough) and dug in. Yummy =)



Yesterday my internet worked again, but when I turned on le big Mac this morning it didn't connect anymore. Wtf? I hate this!
I'll try to comment during my break and pray that it'll work again when I come home tonight.
Hope you had a nice weekend and a good start into the new week!

Kommentare:

romina hat gesagt…

Ohhhhh my goodness!! LOOK AT THAT CHOCOLATE!!!

I might go into sugar shock!

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

Oh my, talk about delicious hangover cures!!! Lizzy, PLEASE come be my personal chef!!! I'll pay big $$$ :0)

You're allergic to the green kiwis, but not the golden ones?? Interesting!

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

Your new treat looks delish! I would've eaten them while making them...
And I've been eaten golden kiwis the whole week! I love the "normal" ones, but these are good for changing the routine a bit. (I buy them in Tegut, btw, the stupid expensive supermarket near to my home...1 avocado for 2€? really?)

I hope you get your internet problem solved soon!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Romina - You're the one to say! I nearly fainted when I saw your oreo cupcakes =p

Veggie Girl - I'd cook for free, but hey money will enable me to buy even more awesome things for you/us to cook ;)

Yeah, green kiwis contain much more fruit acid and even if I have only a tsp. my throat swells and itches like hell, I can't stop coughing and sneezing... it's really no fun =(

Alice - Ha ha, I was snacking ;) And the small container was empty by midnight =p
2 € for an avocado? The world's gone mad...
I'm so incredibly glad I tried golden kiwis, because after eating a regular one I was indeed a bit scared.

Yeah me too! I really don't know what the problem is. One minute it's working and when I get back on after a few hours it's disconnected... I hate computers when they don't work!

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

Topping stuff with nooch is so yummy. Oh, how I love that stuff!

But more importantly: wow, the photos of the chocolate covered bars are phenomenal! They look like they belong in a magazine/top-notch cookbook. And it's a smart idea, too.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Ruby, thank you SO much! I feel really flattered *blushes* =D

I think this is the first time I used nooch on top of something (I used it maybe twice since I bought it) and the second I tried it I was like "Now I know why they always rave about it!" ha ha, better late than never!

Jennifer hat gesagt…

Yummy! Seriously, fruit covered in chocolate? Where can I sign up? I would have probably made myself sick on it as well.

Your dinner looks great. I love just throwing together what you have around.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Ha ha, maybe I should come up with more creations and start selling them as the German Lära bar =p But seriously, every time I'm at the organic supermarket I get SO MAD because every single bar I look at has honey in it. I was so furious the last time that I wanted to go up to the staff and say "Why the hell don't you have any vegan bars? You have like 234862374 bars and none of them is vegan. In America they have this and that and you stock up on things vegans can't have!" Hmph, I should do it next time, maybe they'll reconsider it and actually stock up on vegan bars.

Thanks! And yeah, it's always fun to see what spontaneous cooking results in =)

Celine hat gesagt…

you just killed me dead with the beauty of that chocolate covered banana thing!

Liz² hat gesagt…

I love that bowl of chocolate-covered randoms! and I can definitely see why that warm banana cake wanted to be in your belly so bad... it wants to be in MINE so bad... oooooooh

fruity hat gesagt…

Golden kiwis are very delicious! I'm glad you can enjoy them without any difficulties!

Great job being creative, those desserts looks delicious...I never would of thought of mixing cranberries and bananas.

Mihl hat gesagt…

Wow, those bars look absolutely stunning!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

Umm, did you say chocolate-covered? If it’s chocolate-covered, it sounds good to me! But did you really have to rub it in and tease me with all those gooey chocolatey pictures?!

I’ve been wanting to try that coffee cake since seeing it on Ruby Red’s blog, and seeing your version has only heightened my desire for it. Gosh, I wish I liked to cook as much as I like to eat!

I’m still looking for golden kiwi. Glad one of us at least found them, even if it isn’t me!

Aly hat gesagt…

Your banana cranberry chocolate bars look divine!

Vegan On Stage hat gesagt…

hey i just found your blog!!!

I am a chocolate addict... and I WILL be making those bars... WOW

I also just bought the ingredients to make banana coffee cake! im sure yours came out great

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

I want to swim in that chocolate!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Celine - So sorry, but in case it helps I nearly died too when I looked at these pictures but had no bars left =p

Liz - I think I'll have to melt some chocolate and buy all sorts of nuts and dried fruit in advance and cover it all. Imagine the huge bowl of chocolate covered awesomeness you'd be left with =D

fruity - Me too! It'd be a shame if I couldn't eat this delicious fruit.
Thanks =) You should definitely try it if you like both fruit, it makes a wonderful combination!

Mihl - Thank you =) And believe me, they tasted just as great!

Katie - Ha ha, while typing the title I was like "Well Katie will feel adressed!" So sorry, but I felt just as tortured when I had no sweets left yet looked at the mouthwatering pictures =p

Gosh, I wish I liked to cook as much as I like to eat
Ha ha, I couldn't agree with you more!

I've only seen them in summer around here and from day to day I find more stores that carry them. I'm really hoping you'll be able to try one soon =)

Aly - Thank you!

Vegan on stage - Hey ho! Hope the bars turned out good and that they satisfied another chocolate addict =)

Happy Herbivore - I totally wouldn't mind sharing a pool full of chocolate with you! Ha ha, imagine that =p