Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008

Adopting!

For a while now I have been thinking about adopting a dog.

Reasons for why I haven't so far were that I was still at a school where it would've been impossible to bring a dog.
I would never get a dog if I wasn't 100% sure that I would be able to take care of it 24/7 or have a very reliable person I could trust would take good care of him/her in case I needed to go somewhere where I wouldn't be able to bring a dog. Too little time is the reason why most people give their dogs to shelters.

I love cats, too. And I have wanted one since forever as they do not need constant care the way dogs do which would've freed me from worrying about what to do with it when I was out of the house for a few hours, say at school.
But when I still lived with my parents I couldn't have one because my sister and dad are allergic. When I moved out I lived with my girlfriend, also allergic. And now I'm with Hendrik who is allergic, too. I think the universe doesn't want me to have a cat, tsss!

Anyway, the reason why I bring this up is that I'm doing an internship at the moment and I could bring a dog to work. After the internship I'll finish my studies at my school that - you guessed it - allows you to bring your dog. It was so adorable, last summer there were at least four dogs running around outside!

That said I don't have to worry about where to find a reliable person anymore either. My best girlfriend has a dog herself and was like "I would watch your dog all the time, no problem!" and my boyfriend who is crazy about dogs would probably want to keep him or her =p

So now I've been browsing the website from the Berlin shelter and have found a few dogs. And I totally fell for this little fella!

His name is Kalle, he's a 4-year old dachshund mix and has epilepsy. The shelter provides lifelong free care and medicine because of that. Now I'm wondering what it's like if a dog has epilepsy. But god, look at him! How could you not just want to wrap him up in your arms and provide him a loving new home?


This one is Jenny, also a 4-year old. She was found.


And that's Jessy, five years old. Also given away because her owners had too little time.


So I am planning to visit the animal shelter very soon. Of course it would be great to have a puppy, raise it and see it grow up. But when there are so many dogs in shelters who really need a home I believe it's the only way to go!
Imagine being an orphan, not getting adopted because you're "too old" and "not cute" anymore... Okay, it's a different thing if adopting a child is not an option for you because you want your "own flesh and blood". But why a new puppy? You may see it grow up, but the own flesh and blood saying won't work here.
So you might aswell rescue a little soul waiting to get all the attention, care and love it needs and love it like it was your own!

Well, I'll keep you updated on this =)

Kommentare:

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

This is FABULOUS news!!! You should feel proud for wanting to adopt - there's so many animals that need good homes. Please keep us updated, for sure! I can't wait to find out who you bring home :0)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

I'm so excited about this, too! I will definitely keep you up to date about this =)

Celine hat gesagt…

can't wait to hear about which baby will be the lucky one!

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

I think an adult dog is actually much better than a puppy. They are more lovable! puppies sleep and shit in every corner ;-)
But I know having a dog has a lot more consequences than you actually think... My dog now lives with my grandmother, because obviously 13 years ago I didn't know I would come to Germany!
I don't know... I understand why you want to have one, I love my dog with heart and soul, but I also realize I haven't been able to offer her as much as I could have, and I feel horrible about it... So I made the promise to only ever have another dog if I have a backyard and a very stable life, and if I have someone to bring him/her for a walk if I have to work long hours.
Sorry for the long comment, it's just something very important to me, and I also think a lot about it...

Jennifer hat gesagt…

Congrats Lizzy, this is so exciting. How can you choose? They are all so adorable, I would want to take them all home!

And I was adopted and thank my lucky stars everyday that my parents didn't think I was 'too old' or 'too ugly' or any of those things.

Keep us up to date!

:-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

Yay, you’re back! And OH MY GOSH Kalle is adorable!!! I want to take him right off the screen and eat him up (ok, so maybe that wouldn’t be very vegan of me). But he’s too cute for words! And you have such a kind heart to adopt him—awwwww! And Jenny and Jesse too! See, it’s pictures like this that make me want to adopt all the dogs in the world—they’re just ALL so cute!

And all the food from your previous post looks terrific… and I cracked up from that “tree-rape” poster! Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

jd hat gesagt…

Wow! All of those dogs are so ADORABLE! However, if I had to pick one, my vote would definitely be for Kalle. He's way too cute!

Also, I definitely agree with you about adopting a pet, instead of going to a store or breeder, etc. It's the most humane choice that you can make.

I can't wait to find out which one you pick! Don't forget to provide lots of pictures :)

Yay!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Alice - I left a comment back on your blog.

Jennifer - Aww, I know I'll probably want to take home every dog there is. My boyfriend was too funny. When I informed him that I wanted to go to the shelter soon he said "Uh oh, I can't come... I will be leaving with a dog if I go with you, I just know it!" He's such a dog lover.

I remember you told me a while ago. May I ask how old you were?

Katie - I know, isn't he? I read a little about dog epilepsy and someone posted that their dog had bad attacks and when they changed his diet to raw (meat, fruit, veggies) it pretty much disappeared. So I'm thinking a vegan diet might help. You never know, but it's worth a try (I'd like to keep my dog vegan anyway).

I totally cracked up too when my friend brought the card to our table! And THANK YOU =D

jd - I can only agree!
I will =)

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

I didn't mean to be the party pooper! I think the dogs are very cute too!

Ich habe in Madrid mit meiner Mutter gewohnt. Als ich meinen Hund erst bekommen habe war ich 12, also sehr jung. Aber während des Studiums bin ich nach Deutschland gekommen und hier geblieben. Es war unmöglich den Hund hier zu haben (wäre es immer noch), und der blieb erst bei meiner Mutter, und dann bei der Oma (sie hat einen Garten und mehrere Hunde).

Willst du nie ins Ausland? Das könnte ein Problem sein, wegen Wohnungen oder wenig Zeit und keiner der den Hund spazieren nehmen kann... Wirst du immer Zeit für ihn haben? Wirst du einen Job haben in dem man lange arbeiten muss? Muss man in deinem Job viel verreisen? Wirst du immer jemanden haben der sich um den Hund kümmern kann wenn du nicht da bist?

Ich finde nur dass es wichtig ist, sich diese Fragen selber zu stellen...

Aber wenn alles klappt...dann ist es super! ich beneide dich! Ich hätte sehr sehr gerne einen Hund!

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

Yay! adopting is always best = a doggie out there deserves your love and good home!

Liz² hat gesagt…

they all look so cute! wee and hurray you get to have a dog! (also, naked taco slathering is probably the coolest thing anyone's ever commented about on my blog :DDDDD)

disa hat gesagt…

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色