Dienstag, 1. Juli 2008

Salad, Pasta, another Cake & Curry Cauliflower Carrot Soup

I wonder, why do I always feel like salads are a pain in the ass to make? Am I seriously that slow? And am I the only one? Mhh...
Anyway, the delicious salad I had last night sure did remind me that all the washing and chopping and mixing and roasting is simply worth it!



Roasted zucchini, eggplant & orange bell pepper on a bed of iceberg & lamb's lettuce, some cucumber slices, tomatoes, red onion & avocado chunks (I actually prefer avocados in form of guacamole... oh well, next time), drizzled with a balsamic yogurt dressing. Oh and some Nachos with mexican salsa.



Now onto my dad's cake. He and my mom enjoyed it a lot! Of course so did I ;)
A layer of raspberry perserves, banana slices and chocolate mousse.



I didn't have any fresh berries to add so I simply used pieces of cake crust, spread them with more chocolate mousse and arranged them on top. Some chopped chocolate on the sides & on top and it could've passed as the mouthwatering Starbucks Chocolate Fudge Cake I used to have quite often ♥

A few days ago I wanted something quick, so here goes Kamut pasta in olive tapenade mixed with broccoli & scallions sautéed in garlic. And a few drops of soy yogurt. Yumm!



Last week I made a Curry Cauliflower Carrot Soup with potatoes & red lentils! This was hearty & filling, yet light.
I ate it 3 days in a row yet never managed to take a picture. Even my boyfriend loved this!
I'll have to increase my soup cooking skills and make more of them.

I used about 6 medium potatoes & 2 carrots cut into small chunks and about 1/4 cup red lentils that I cooked in broth.
Midway cooking I added about 8-10 cauliflower florets, cut into smaller pieces, nutritional yeast, curry, ginger, garam masala, nutmeg, chili, paprika, salt and pepper.
I added 1/4 - 1/3 cup soy milk and puréed 2 cups of the solids in my blender and poured it back into the pot.
With a slice of whole wheat toast spread with a layer of olive tapenade, this was a perfect dinner!

Kommentare:

romina hat gesagt…

WOW, that cake looks so professional!!

And I love yogurt on my pasta!! Especially in the summer.

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

No worries - salads take a long time for me to make too :0)

Oh man, that cake!! Lizzy, you need to stop tempting me with all these desserts - you KNOW I have a sweet tooth, with all the baking I do!! :0D

Jennifer (of Veg*n Cooking) hat gesagt…

Dicing, slicing, and roasting might take awhile, but it is well worth the time. Just take a look at that picture of your salad. I want it now!

And what a lucky dad you have, I would be honored to have one of your gorgeous cakes, you are so talented.

That pasta and broccoli dish sounds simple and delicious.

If all goes well at the farmer's market this weekend, I am going to try my hands at making homemade falafel, and if I do I'm going to make your vegan tzatziki. I'm still super thrilled you posted that recipe. I hope I can find the needed ingredients at the market this weekend.

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

I have the same problem with salads: I think they take too long. Actually, they don't, and they can be soooo good! Just look at yours!

And I don't even want to talk about the cake ;-)

Courtney hat gesagt…

That cake is amazingly gorgeous and professional looking! Wow--I am super impressed! What recipe did you use?!

I love salads :o) They are SO worth the time and effort!

Courtney

CeciLiA hat gesagt…

that cake just killed me -___- look soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo delicious! Sigh ... I wish I live next door to you :0)

just me hat gesagt…

omg your cake makes me drool! it would be absolutely dangerous for me to be around your cooking!

Tuimeltje hat gesagt…

I just went through a few days worth of your posts, and I'm all hungry now. Good thing I'm about to have dinner!

If you open a vegan bakery in Berlin, I have one more reason to visit that city. I've been wanting to go there ever since one of my German teachers waxed poetic about the city, and after finding out about some of the vegan stuff there, well, I can't not go, can I?

lighterportions hat gesagt…

I'm currently on food ban because I have an appointment tomorrow morning that requires a fast so I am seriously regretting looking at this post. Those are some of the most delicious looking foods ever. I really wish you would open a restaurant right next door to my house.

Cookiemouse hat gesagt…

That cake is awesome! I tend to keep my salads very simple, and spend most of my time and effort making the dressing.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Romina - Thanks! I spent A LOT of time trying to get it coated in frosting because the second layer kept swishing away due to the slippy jam-banana action inbetween =p

Veggiegirl - Sigh, good to know ;)
Aww man believe me I wish I'd be able to give you a taste of everything I make because there are too little people willing to eat for the masses I wish I could produce!

Jennifer - So true!
Aww, thank you *blushes* yeah he really appreciated it and there's nothing better than having people smile and 'mhh' between bites! my best friend was even better, she was like "seriously NO egg? how does it hold together so well?" "there's NO margarine in that mousse?" gotta love it when people are positively surprised that a delicious baked good is vegan.

Ohh wonderful! Hope yours will stick together (unlike mine ha ha). Mhhh, can I stay with you for the weekend? ;)
About the tzaziki, I think frsh parsley would round it up nicely!

Alice - Ha ha I KNOW, it doesn't take more than 20 minutes (mostly) yet that time span seems endless!

Courtney - Thanks a lot! I used Vcon's lower-fat chocolate bundt cake recipe and VCTOTW's chocolate mousse recipe.

Cecilia - Ha ha, aww I didn't mean to do that. I'm in your situation all the time though when I check out other blogs. I want to eat everything I see =p

Just me - Thanks! I'd even let you eat some of the batter ;)

Tuimultje - He he, thank you =)
And you really should come here. Call me and we'll explore all the vegan diner's here! It's about time I finally do that.

lighterportions - So sorry to hear that! You should treat yourself with a cake after the appointment =)

Cookiemouse - Thanks a lot!
Yeah I guess I should do that, too. Somehow I'm not very good with dressings and I definitely need practice since it's the dressing that matters most! Do you maybe have any favorites you can recommend?

Liz² hat gesagt…

wow, that pasta looks wonderful!

as does that cake, I mean seriously, WOW. It looks SO dense and SO fudgey, it's almost illegal. :O !