Montag, 9. Juni 2008

Raw Strawberry Banana Pie and Rosé Champagne

I love it when my dad gets alcohol as thank you gift from his patients, because my parents happily (most of the time) share it with me.
Yesterday I hung out on the balcony and drank this delicious rosé champagne with strawberries (talk about perfection) as my parents shared the raw pie (I've had mine the day before).



The "crust" consisted of ground almonds and agave syrup. I think I put in a little too much agave, but I want to give raw pie making another chance anyway, this time using more nuts and seeds for the crust (I only had ground almonds on hand).
I laid banana slices on top, spread them with a little mashed banana mixed with vanilla extract and topped it off with a layer of strawberry slices.
I've got to say that even though it wasn't mind blowing I'll definitely make more raw pies in the future and hopefully perfect the crust making soon. Nuts, seeds, fruit... what's not to love when all this combines to a delicious dessert?



On Saturday I made Canneloni following this recipe. Except I didn't follow it correctly because I missed something very important: adding 3 cups of water... whoops!
That said they came out a bit dry and very salty. My parents had it with crème fraîche and were totally happy with it (it was really salty so I guess they used quite a lot of crème fraîche to balance it out). I on the other hand poured some tomato puree over mine to reduce the saltiness a little.

And now here comes... the first time I used soy crisp and I have the following to say: it tastes pretty damn real, consistence and taste like wise.
My mom came home "Did you cook...? Nooo it can't be... but it smells like... did you cook meat?" Ha ha! And my boyfriend, a meat lover, also said that it tasted like the real deal, BUT he would've preferred vegetable Cannelonis. In no way did I ever expect to hear that from him, but hooray! Veggie ones it'll be next time. I think I'll use the leftover soy crisp next time I make Chili to give it more texture.

And I am very sorry that I'm totally behind commenting, but I'm so busy at the moment I really don't know where my head stands (German saying "Ich weiß nicht wo mir der Kopf steht"... probably something completely different in English -- just checked, translator says "I don't know whether I'm coming or going." sounds weird to me, but oh well) =p
I'll catch up on commenting as soon as I can!

I wish you all a great start into the new week =)
Don't melt away!!!

Kommentare:

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

Wow, that rosé champagne DOES look like perfection, with the strawberries - so gorgeous!

That raw pie looks sooooo delectable, oh my goodness - YUM!!

That's fabulous that your boyfriend prefers the vegetable cannelonis!! Hooray!! :0)

Jennifer hat gesagt…

A day on the porch with chapagne sounds perfect.

Don't worry about the commenting and stuff. I have been behind in both commenting and posting, sometimes life gets away from you!

CeciLiA hat gesagt…

wow wow wow! I love the first photo, sooooo pretty! You're so talented Lizzy! :0) What is soy crisp? is it like TVP? hehehe... you make me wanna make canneloni now!

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

I've wanted to try a raw pie for a while already! nice that you did already! And it looks so appealing!

LK hat gesagt…

Wow, this simple dessert looks so delicious! I love fresh berries in the summer.

By the way, I recently discovered your blog, and all of your food looks fabulous! Just curious, are you living/from Germany? (I noticed some words on your blog are in German) I took German in school, have relatives in Germany, and traveled to Germany a few years ago. Deutschland ist Wunderbar!

Ashasarala hat gesagt…

Wow. The strawberry banana pie and rose champagne are gorgeous! They look like the perfect snacks for a hot summer's day. I'm in love with the color red, as it is. So when food is red, I automatically want it in my tummy.

'I don't know whether I'm coming or going' is a very famous saying in this country. I use it very often, myself. haha It's another way of saying 'I'm so stressed, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing anymore!'

Meg Wolff hat gesagt…

I really like your daily quote by Leo Buscaglia.

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

strawberries are my weakness

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

I tried your blondies recipe, and posted about it :0)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

VeggieGirl - I think I'll only drink the rosé champagne from now on, it's just prettier ;)

Yeah, I could've done a little my-bf-wants-veggies dance, ha ha!

Jennifer - True! And as long as no one disappears it's all good =)

Cecilia - Thank you so much =)
I think it is the same, yes. Ha ha, did you have some?

Alice - Thanks =)
I spent quite some time trying to get the crust consistence right and hopefully it'll be easier next time!

LK - Thanks and I can only agree with you that fresh berries are the best!
And yes, I'm from Berlin and it is indeed wunderbar =D even if many Germans (or probably only the ones in Berlin?) are pretty rough and moody lol but luckily not everyone's like that!

Ashasarala - Ha ha, I know what you mean - I have the same thing with anything purple ;)
He he, good to know! Now I'll be able to express this certain feeling without confusing people with my word to word translation of the german saying =p

Lindsay - I'm with you! I felt so bad for a friend when she told me that she was allergic to strawberries... not that's just plain evil!