Montag, 21. April 2008

PBJ Banana Goodness and an "Asian" Veggie & Rice Stir-Fry

A few days ago I had the grilled Peanut Butter Jelly Banana Sandwich people seem to eat all the time. It was so good! I just couldn't decide how to cut the banana =p



Last night I made a simple, light and satisfying dinner after being inspired by the take-out chinese food I had this weekend that was way too oily in my opinion.
Seriously, why do people think it's neccessary to drown tiny vegetable pieces in cups of oil? Not only am I pretty sure that most people would appreciate low-fat versions (I don't demand them to be no or low fat, but get the amount right damnit), the restaurant itself would probably save quite some money in the long run if they used 4 Tbsp. less oil for each dish.

Oh well, in that case I'll rely on myself and recreate the dish the way I want it to be. And that would be it:



Ingredients
2 bell peppers, chopped (I used 1/2 yellow, 1 red & 1/2 green)
3 cups chinese cabbage, chopped
1/3 bamboo shoots
2 carrots, shredded
3 scallions, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, minced
soy sauce
salt, a dash pepper

First sautee the bell pepper & celery for 10 minutes, then add the bamboo shoots, carrot and chinese cabbage and under stirring cook for 5 more minutes.

Completely fat free and again, boyfriend and father approved!

I had rice left over and craved something dessert-like, but didn't have anything on hand really so I came up with this. Rice, 3 Tbsp. apple sauce, a squirt agave and a few dashes of cinnamon. And not to forget cashews.

Kommentare:

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

Wow, that Peanut Butter Jelly Banana Sandwich looks so luscious - I like how you sliced the banana in 2 different ways, haha; your stir-fry looks delicious (I always love your stir-fry concoctions); and your rice-dessert is brilliant! Yum!

Celine hat gesagt…

PBJ sandwich thing? be in my belly right now!

Cookiemouse hat gesagt…

Only yesterday I was talking to an American friend about a peanut butter, banana and jam sandwich. Great photo!

romina hat gesagt…

Mmm. That sandwich looks so yummy! I'm glad you tried a grilled PB sandwich. =)

Jennifer hat gesagt…

I never thought to add banana to a PB&J, interesting. And grilled? I'll take a few of those!

I'm loving your stir-fry, I agree, why do take out places insist on drowing a meal in oil. It's pretty gross.

I love your dessert, quick simple and it sounds delish.

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

mmm, can I order chinese from your kitchen? :-). Yes, I also think they sometimes want the vegetables to bathe in oil, no idea why...
I got the vegan tofutti ice cream from alnatura, have a look and see if you find it. They also have like a postbox where you can leave suggestions, and I think I'm gonna try, who knows!

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

ooooh...pbj....my love...

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Veggie Girl - Thanks!! As always I'd happily invite you over and share it with you =)

Celine - He he! I think now that I've tried it this way I'll have my PBJ sandwich with additional banana more often!

Cookiemouse - What a coincidence =) Thank you!

Romina - Me too! This is such a sweet comforting snack!

Jennifer - I'd happily send you a lunch bag full of em ;)
I got the idea from some other blogs, somehow I wouldn't have thought of this myself.

Thanks =) Yeah, I really don't get it. Oh well, that's why I love cooking at home =)

Alice - Ha ha, anytime =)
Oh thanks, I'll look for it!

Happy Herbivore - I can only agreeingly ohhh along with you ;)

Liz² hat gesagt…

for some reason, I am completely in love with that wonky banana bagel with the cool shapes!

and yeah, I hate it when I order out food and it's hugely greasy... I try not to think about it and just eat it, and for some reason it never seems to go to my hips (just my belly feels weird for a while), but still... homemade is SO much better. Yours looks so good!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Ha ha, that made me laugh =)

& I can only agree with you! I'm like "I paid for this so I might aswell just eat it!", but it still grosses me out. But like you said, homemade tastes great and you can always make it with your friends which will be guaranteed fun =)